Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Security Warning: do you want to run this ActiveX Control

RRAS, VPN, TS/RDP, Routing and remote Access.

Security Warning: do you want to run this ActiveX Control

Postby chicagotech » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Situation: The client setup RD Services on 2012 R2. My. If they don't click this to allow it to run and they try to run a published app, it prompts the user to open an RDP file with an obscure name. The published app then loads so this still technically works OK but it's ugly.

If the user runs this add-on and then clicks a published app it runs the app seamlessly without the user having to click further.

They have to click this every time they log into RD Web.

In group policy, they have a GPO named Internet Explorer which targets all domain users.

- My RD Web Access page is in the Trusted Sites zone.
- Under User section in \Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Trusted Sites Zone I have enabled "Run ActiveX controls and plugins" policy. They have also enabled "Download Signed (& Unsigned) ActiveX controls" policies which I gather is not recommended but I only really have Intranet sites in my Trusted Sites list so I don't really have a problem with it.

I have verified these settings are being applied on the client using gpresult.

Resolution: We ran group policy and went to User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Security Features\Add-on Management and enabled "Add-on List"

You have to get the CLSID of the ActiveX control and place it in this list with a value of 1 to enable it automatically.

You can get the CLSID by manually allowing the control to run on a client then going into add-on management in IE and viewing the properties of the add-on.

Now that I've done this the add-on does not prompt asking if it's allowed to run.
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
chicagotech
Site Admin

Return to VPN, TS and Remote Access

Your Ad Here