Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Migration problem from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008

Active Directory, Domain, DNS, WINS, DHCP, SBS, New Releases.

Migration problem from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008

Postby fenton » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 pm

I am in the midst of a migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 and have been following the technet guidelines very closely. I have checked all the updates, patches, and have run the migration preparation tool on the source server. However, during installation on the new server, it comes to a point that says "Source Server does not meet minimum requirements for migration" with the only issue listed as "Run the Migration Preparation Tool on the Source Server" - I have run this tool a few times now, created the answer file, and rebooted the source machine. Nothing I do seems to allow me past this point. What else can I do to move this migration along?
fenton

Re: Migration problem from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008

Postby fenton » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 pm

From the SBSSetup log I can see that the querying of the source OS failed. The reason is “Access Denied”.

=============================

Getting OS version for WIN2KSRV

[1848] 090917.160624.9073: Setup: Caught exception when getting source OS Version: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

at System.Management.ThreadDispatch.Start()

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()

at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Setup.SBSSetup.SchemaUpdatePagePresenter.PopulateSourceServerOS(String sourceServer, String username, String password)

[1848] 090917.160624.9073: Setup: Setting source OS to Other

=============================

That might be the reason why it says the source server does not meet the requirement because the source server should be SBS 2003 which is not detected successfully.

To troubleshoot the problem, please try the following steps:

1. On the source SBS 2003 server, run the command “dcomcnfg”.

2. Double click component services.

3. Double click Computers.

4. Right click on My Computer and go to Default Properties tab.

5. Please ensure that the box labeled "Enable Distributed COM on this computer" is checked.

6. If this box is unchecked, checking the box will fix the root cause of the failure but still won't allow the migration wizard to run.

7. Reboot the SBS 2003 and test again.

If Migration wizard still not runs, please browse to info.xml file from data folder in c:\program files\windows smallbusiness server\data directory on the SBS 2008. Backup this file to another location and search for the word Other and replace it with the name of SBS 2003 which is WIN2KSRV. Save the info.xml file and please run the migration wizard again.

Hope this helps and if there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best regards,

Hong Shao
Partner Online Technical Community
fenton

Return to Windows

Your Ad Here