Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Vista Wireless Network dropouts

Wi-Fi, Mobile phone.

Vista Wireless Network dropouts

Postby reaver330 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi there,

Im getting the same old problem as everyone else posting about the vista wireless problems with the exception that im still stuck with a flaky wireless link.
My hardware's a broadcomm wireless nic which came with my HP dv6640ei, my symptoms are; can browse web but get nasty slowdowns and crashes in both ie and firefox after variable periods of time, sometimes a few seconds, other times up 15 mins, but always the slowdowns appear)

My real problem is that i cant use Remote desktop to any other machine on my local network and cant access my SQL 2K5 db using the SQL Management studio)
Thought it was my SQL cfg. but linked to the router w/hardwire link and no probs, everything works fine (obviously thats on a differant nic to the wireless), but when i pull out the wire and revert to wireless, it all goes boom again.

To begin with here are the things i have tried.

1. Ran the ms router verification tool. All came up trumps (routers a D-Link DI-524)
2. ripped out the new network entries (removed QoS, uninstalled the 2 vista network entries (cant remember their names), disabled ipv6
3. Tried turning off DHCP (static ip had same flaky connection issues)
4. fixed my nic speed @ 54mbps rather than auto
5. Checked windows update for -all- potential fixes for the wireless issues, and cross-referenced the hotfix numbers with my installed hot-fixes and all recommended hotfixes (as far as i can find in the forums anyway) are installed.
6. re-installed latest broadcomm wireless drivers from HP.
7. ran ping on an internet address. no dropped pings.
8. ran ping on a local address. no dropped pings.
9. ran through the netsh fixes
9.1 the netsh winsock restart, did naught -its late and i cant remember the syntax of these babies from the forum posts. :)
9.2 ran the netsh tcp autospeedthingydoodah=disabled
10. did add the DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle=1 to the reg.
11. ran HP update to pickup any fixes from them. but no, it says im up to date.

All to no avail, i feel like the Polish cavalry who charged the german panzer tanks with lances and horses. Im hoping i dont meet the same end...

I think thats about everything i tried and lo, still the cursed thing isnt resolved, if anyone is interested; i can connect to sql 2k5 using sqlcmd but after a few minutes i get:

HResult 0x2746, Level 16, State 1
TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Native Client : Communication link failure.

and when i try to connect via mgnt studio i get:

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to spawn.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoEnum)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName ... nkId=20476

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 64)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName ... nkId=20476

the only reason im including the above messages is to illustrate that i believe its because of the wireless network (and not SQL cfg issues or something), the other give away is that both tools work fine when i connect to the router with a hardwire.

Im so demoralized at the moment im thinking TNT + CHEST * CAR-RIDE / VISTA Network STack Dev Team = pretty flames, body parts and REVENGE! hehe.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Reaver330.[/img]
reaver330

Postby Bill Castner » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:40 pm

If you are having issues with a static IP assignment as well, obviously DHCP is not the root cause. Question for you -- Did you every have Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security installed on the Vista computer?

The issue is seen commonly when this is the case. Uninstalling using Add or Remove Programs will not resolve the problem. You need to also run the Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ts ... 3108162039

Do not depend on HP Updates for current drivers for your wireless network. Use the drivers from the network adapter manufacturer instead.

Finally, you only did one of the two recommended registry changes for DHCP issues. In addition, remember that this change is made per interface and is not Global. It is quite easy to modify the wrong interface GUID.
Bill Castner

Postby reaver330 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 am

Howdy Bill,

Thanks for coming back to me, I was very careful about which interface i modified, im certain that i poked about with the correct one. I'll apply the other registry fix and see what happens.

About Norton, It may have existed on the laptop before i did an fdisk/format/re-install (new install to vista ultimate from vista home) but post install im using AVG as my anti-virus tool. (Norton are bastards about their AV coming on new laptops -the number of poor old geezers i know who get caught upgrading their subscription on the (trial) version and paying through the nose makes me sick- so i dont use Norton)

Will check the manufacturer re: new drivers too.

I'll pop back and let you know what happens.

Thanks again Bill.
reaver330

Postby reaver330 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:50 am

I have rooted about the forums but couldnt find the other registry key to fix. Could you post it for me?

Checked the manufacturer of my wireless card (BroadCom) and lo their site is very hard to find drivers on. Rooted about their site for an hour and could find source code for firmware and such but no reference drivers for my wlan card.

Also i neglected to mention that i checked the power settings on the wlan nic driver settings and in vista power options and both are set to use 100% power/max performance.

I double checked DHCP this morning and im certain its not the issue, using a static ip produces the same results as when the ip is assigned by the router.

Also i checked for firmware for my router but they dont list my model on their firmware page <sigh> but im not certain if the firmware is a problem because when I use a hardwire to the router my problems go away (i dont know if thats an indication that the router firmware is ok)

I dont really know what else to do, other than carry about a utp cable and use it wherever i im connecting (hehe, I can see waiters falling over that every morning)
reaver330

Postby Bill Castner » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Run the Norton Removal Tool.
If this has not been done, only Add or Remove Programs, your issue is explainable.
Norton does not uninstall cleanly.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ts ... 3108162039

For Broadcom, they are chipset manufacturers.
You need to hardware OEM who made the actual card, not its chipset.
If it is HP, then this will be a dead end. In the past I have used drivers for the same chipset but by a different manufacturer to work around issues. Lets leave this dog lie asleep for the moment. We need to remove all traces of Norton first.

As to registy changes. This KB describes two:

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle
DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag

Can you see the difference now?

I do it this way. Say I find that the proper interface GUID has a value of: {16D8066E-F807-4DB2-B752-D4F318685656}

Using your mouse, highlight the entire contents of the code box below, including any blank lines. Then do a Right-click | "Copy":
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.0

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{16D8066E-F807-4DB2-B752-D4F318685656}]
"DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle"=dword:00000001
"DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag"=dword:00000000

Open a new Notepad session, and do a Right-click | "Paste" of the code box contents. Click File, click "Save as..." and enter as the filename (including quotation marks): "fix_DHCP.reg".

Exit Notepad. Double click fix_DHCP.reg and agree to the registry merge.

:!: Reboot your computer.
Bill Castner

Postby ed@ejbeck.com » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:15 am

I'm experiancing the same issue as reaver330 and have performed all the same trouble shooting steps.

Is there any update on this thread?
ed@ejbeck.com

Postby chicagotech » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:37 am

Have you run the Norton Removal Too?
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
chicagotech
Site Admin

Postby ed@ejbeck.com » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm

No, Norton has never been on this system. in fact, it operated flawlessly untila couple of weeks ago when I had to rebuild it. Since then i've rebuilt two more times.

is there something inherent to the Norton uninstall utility that helps this problem?

more information:
Toshiba Tecra M7
64-bit
Vista Enterprise 64- bit
No drop off while on corporate network.
no other users on my home network report wireless drop off.

connection is very good if i'm just on the internet or using corporate email. (Outlook connection to Exchange server using http/rpc.

if I remote desktop to a wired computer I drop off within minutes, sometimes immediately.

remote desktop from a wired computer to the same wired computer is fine.

have not tested remote desktop from another wireless laptop (probaly should).

using reserved IPs.
ed@ejbeck.com

Postby chicagotech » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:09 pm

For a troubleshooting, start the computer with clean boot. Then test it. please post back with the result.
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
chicagotech
Site Admin

Postby Bill Castner » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm

Norton Removal Tool was only for the case where Norton/Symantec Antivirus had been installed previously on a computer, usually as a Trial version when new. It is not suggested as a general panacea.

From the above discussion, there were two thoughts raised:

1. That there are issues with Broadcom chipset based wireless network adapters, and their drivers. In my opinion the issues are still not resolved for these types of adapters under Vista.

2. There were issues with DHCP, and registry edits were suggested. Using a static IP assignment if possible is another resolution.

This thread has then segued into issues about Remote Desktop under Wireless. It has been my experience that this becomes an MTU issue, and you need to disable Autotuning features under Vista for the wireless adapter. If you find a wired connection works, but wireless drops the remote desktop session, then disable Autotuning: http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/04/10/remot ... ows-vista/
Bill Castner

Postby ed@ejbeck.com » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for the pointer to disabling Autotuning: http://i.nconspicuo.us/2007/04/10/remot ... ows-vista/

Here's an update.

I was running Vista Enterprise 64-bit on a Tecra M7. I had messed with the settings so much that I rebuilt it to 64-bit, applied the above fix, and tested. I found that I still dropped my WiFi connection during a Remote Desktop session.

I then rebuilt to Vista Enterprise 32-bit and tested my connection. I again experienced WiFi dropout, so I applied the fix.

Since disabling autotuning I find that I still experience WiFi dropout, but much, much less frequently. Maybe once or twice a day compared to every 10 minutes. If anyone has any suggetions on what else to fiddle with, I'll give it a go, but I'm more or less satisfied now.

A couple of observations.

1. I was running Vista Enterprise 64-bit for months and experianced absolutely no WiFi dropout during Remote Desktop sessions at all. It was only after I rebuilt my system that I started experiencing this problem.

2. This is just an observation, but I'm not terribly impressed with the Toshiba 64-bit drivers. I have a tablet version of the M7 and the drivers would not recognize when I rotated the screen to tablet mode. There were a couple other things, but that's the one that stands out in my mind.

Thank you to everyone who assisted me. I hope that I've added some information to the forum.
ed@ejbeck.com

Re: Vista Wireless Network dropouts

Postby lezley » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi! I've been trying to search the site for connection issues related to mine. So far I was not able to find one, but if ever this issue has been answered before I would appreciate if someone could send me the link. Thanks!

Here's my problem. I recently installed a linksys wrt210N and is hard wired to our main computer (mac). I have a Toshiba with vista basic and the wireless connection to the internet is working perfectly. But my brother has an Acer Aspire 4520 with vista home premium and his connection keeps dropping every minute if someone is using it and ever 5 mins if its just sitting there. I can ping the router when I am online. Then I tried all these following steps but still the same issue: reinstalling the network adapter; disabling the 802.1... authentication but wasn't able to connect to the router more so I reverted back to the old setting; forced DNS on Internet Protocol Version 4 but getting conflicting IP; dowloading MS update for vista but neither of x64 and x86 version were appropriate for the pc; checked automatic connection on wireless network setting; changed SSID name on linksys. But all these didn't help 1 bit! Please help..... Thanks
lezley

Re: Vista Wireless Network dropouts

Postby blin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:40 pm

You may want to check if there is a new firmware for the router and new driver for wireless NIC.
How to Configure and Troubleshoot Cisco
http://www.howtocisco.com

Tablet and Smartphone Setup Guide
http://www.quicksetupguide.com
blin
Site Admin

Return to Wireless

Your Ad Here