Home | Site Map | Cisco How ToNet How To | Wireless |Search | Forums | Services | Donations | Careers | About Us | Contact Us|

Black screen after Vista boot

Active Directory, Domain, DNS, WINS, DHCP, SBS, New Releases.

Black screen after Vista boot

Postby blin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:29 am

Hi,
I'm experiencing boot problem with Vista Ultimate.
When I boot, after the Vista green loading bar disappears and before the Windows Vista logo appears, the system stops to respond (I get a black screen, no mouse, no cursor, no HDD activity, nothing). It appeared when I installed a nVidia GeForce 6200 in the computer. I reinstalled Windows with this card thinking it was a driver problem, but it still hangs.
The main problem is that I got the black screen many times, but after 1, 2, 3 or more boots, Vista loads correctly and I can use my computer without any problem at all. So, if it was the video card, or the driver, I don't think the computer can be as stable. I tried memory tests, hard drive tests, all with succes. I read the Windows logs (performance monitor and others) without any response (the multiple boot doesn't appears in them). When I boot in safe mode, it works everytime.
I also tried many bios configurations (optimized defaults, failsafe defaults, AGP4x, AGP8x, disable the fastwrite option....).
Do you have any idea ?
My hardware :
MB : Asrock K7S41GX
CPU : Athlon XP 2100+
RAM : 512MB Kingston DDR3200
PSU : Antec Smartpower 350W
HDD : Western Digital 80GB
DVD : Liteon SOHW 812s
GC : Asus nVidia GeForce 6200 128MB
Monitor : Ultrasharp 2007WFP
Digital TV Card : Terratec Cinergy T XS
Remote Control : Microsoft MCE Remote Control
Highly ventilated case
My Software :
Windows Vista Ultimate French
nVidia up-to-date drivers
ffdshow (january version)
terratec cinergy up-to-date drivers
all other drivers are those which are on the Vista DVD + Windows Update

- It look like a hardware problem. Does the power supply got enough power?
Also, the mainboard may not be compatible with Vista, you may contact the mainboard vendor to deal with that.

- The Problem is because of the ATK utility installed by AMD processors, This ACPI ultilty crashed my system several times but i resolved this problem by installing drivers which were for X64 XPin vista.. after that i doenloaded the drivers for my processor and utility from
www.amd.com and everything got fine...

- New tests, new conclusion : nVidia drivers !
I was thinking that a service or anything else was the source, but in fact, it's the nVidia drivers for my 6200. When I de-install the Geforce (use the generic VGA driver of Vista), the PC works fine. When I install the drivers (any driver, even those on the DVD or from Windows Update), the PC crash after the logon (Welcome screen). With the last beta drivers of nVidia (101.4x), the PC hangs just after the bootup (the green loading bar) with a black screen, like I describe it in the first post.
The thing I don't understand at all, is that when it arrives to boot correctly, the PC works really fine, even with high charge on the graphic card or the processor. Freezes appear only at the boot/logon. What can cause this ? I already had problems with a PSU, but the freezes appeared generally when the graphic card was really charged, and it was random. A hardware problem is also generally random, and it's not the case here... I really don't know what can cause this...

Edit: I tried another PSU (480W) and the bug is still here...
Edit 2: I tried another graphic card (a Geforce FX 5200) and no bug. I put the 6200 in another computer (with a nForce 2 chipset) and no bug... Maybe an incompatibility with the SIS chipset ? I just hope the bug will not come back again on the other computer. I'd like to know if you have an idea of the source of the problem :)
Thanks.

- I experience the exact same Problem (the only difference besides hardware is, that I'm using the alternative launch screen, not the bar). I'm using Vista Home Premium, with a GeFroce 7900GS, and a Intel Viiv Core 1 Duo Processor. I bought it from Dell, and didn't change any of the hardware pieces, so it shouldn't be some hardware incompatibility. I just started my PC the 6th time without getting any picture.

ED: I got it running now after using the "Starthilfe" (I dont know what its called in the english version. Maybe "Boot Assistant", the tool that searchs and repairs boot-problems). I will use the Standby mode more often now :D, I don't dare shutting down my PC.

- Thank you very much for your help.

I have the same problem and I resolve it by disabling the "legacy USB storage detect" option in my BIOS because I have an external hard drive disk (MyBook western digital). I noticed vista didn't want to boot without the black screen when the hard disk was powered on and now with this option, set to disabled, it works fine. Maybe you can try this to solve the problem.

- I have the same problem and I resolve it by disabling the "legacy USB storage detect" option in my BIOS because I have an external hard drive disk (MyBook western digital). I noticed vista didn't want to boot without the black screen when the hard disk was powered on and now with this option, set to disabled, it works fine. Maybe you can try this to solve the problem.

- I have had the same problem and here is what I found out.
There appears to be some compatability issue between Vista and the power seetings. If you disable the "Stand By" feature from the control panel, your problem should be solved.

- The problem is more frequent when I have just a USB-Stick plugged in, so this really may be a part of the problem.

- Dell Dimension C521, Athlon 64 X2, ATI Radeon X1300, Vista Home Premium OEM: I disabled ATI CLI and Ethernet wake-on-lan and the problem seems to have gone away.

- Before starting Vista I pressed F8 a couple of times and selected to let it run while logging the boot process (ntbtlog.txt in windows folder).
I found out it didn't load ACPI x86 based PC "drivers". Because of that, it didn't load my graphics card either.
Afterwards I changed driver, but by doing so it would only use one processor (I got a dual core AMD). Now everything ran fine without problems.
So I went to the Nvidia.com site and downoaded the NForce chipset drivers (not the graphics card drivers!) because I got a Nforce chipset in my PC. Installed the Vista drivers and everything seems to be stable now. Although, when looking in the logs, it still gives some ACPI related errors for 3 things. I can't find anything referring to those and all hardware seems to be working fine. Also double checked if it really runs on both processors now and it does.
Let's hope I don't get that (random) black screen again while booting up.

- OK, the problem can be solved by using latest driver of the mainboard. Let's close this thread now.
How to Configure and Troubleshoot Cisco
http://www.howtocisco.com

Tablet and Smartphone Setup Guide
http://www.quicksetupguide.com
blin
Site Admin

Postby blin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 am

if your vista system out of the blue decides to show nothing but a black screen after starting----unplug all USB devices ( especially those of external drives or card readers) and try to restart. I believe this ha something to do with the bios boot order and boot from USB or internal CD drive is the first boot device.
How to Configure and Troubleshoot Cisco
http://www.howtocisco.com

Tablet and Smartphone Setup Guide
http://www.quicksetupguide.com
blin
Site Admin

Return to Windows

Your Ad Here