Recover Windows from Black Screen on Boot
Symptom: When you restart a computer running Windows, the computer may stop with black screen after the power-on self test (POST) is completed. Running Safe Mode has the same symptom.
Causes: 1. The master boot record (MBR), partition tables, boot sector, or NTLDR file is corrupted.
2. One or more hardware is not compatible with the Windows..
3. The new installation of software may damage the registry.
4. This issue may occur if you have an external CD, a DVD or a floppy disk connecting to the computer.
Resolution: 1. If the MBR is damaged, run the following command:
FDISK /MBR to fix it.
2. Run Windows Setup and choose the Repair option. Choose the Inspect boot Sector and Restore Startup Environment options. If the boot sector on the boot drive is corrupted, this should repair it.
3. If you have external devices connecting to the computer, remove them for the troubleshooting.
4. If you just added a new hardware, you may want to disable it for the troubleshooting.
5. If the system files or registry are damaged, you may want to use Recovery Console and System Restore to recover it.
6. If all above donít fix the problem, you may want to take the hard disk and add it to another computer to recover the data.
Black screen on windows XP boot